March 27, 2012

Poor Man's Muffins





You will need:
  • 1 cup granulated sugar 
  • 1/2 cup margarine 
  • 1 cup water 
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice 
  • 2 cups flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Place sugar, margarine, water, and spices in a pot and bring to a boil for one minute. Cool. Blend in four, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Put in paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes a dozen muffins.
















































I made these muffins for an event at my church the other day, and since I get so many compliments, I thought I would share the recipe. A few years ago, I was wandering around in an antique store, "Ponder's Antiques" (in Daphne, Alabama) when I came across this set of 1960s recipe books. Being in college, I decided to flip through every recipe until I found one I could make for really cheap, and this is the one I found!















































They're called Poor Man's muffins because most of the ingredients you should already have in your kitchen, and it doesn't require any eggs or milk! When I make them, I don't have any allspice or nutmeg, and just the cinnamon tastes delicious. I put cream cheese frosting on top, and it goes really well with the recipe.

Anyway, let me know if you try these Poor Man's Muffins—I hope you like them!!

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for a quick muffin recipe that didn't have eggs and came across your blog. My kids LOVE these muffins! We've made them several times now. I just have to remember how much sugar is in them before I eat too many. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, thanks so much for sharing that!! I'm glad your kids (and you, lol!) enjoy them! :D

    ReplyDelete