April 20, 2018

Vintage Coldspot Fridge



So excited! I just bought this amazing vintage Coldspot refrigerator for my birthday. We have to wait for some friends to help us get this thing out of the truck because DANG, it's heavy. But it's really in great condition and really spacious compared to some of the other older fridges that I saw.

The woman I bought it from was really nice and had it running for a few days before we came to pick it up. Everything was still working really well. It also passed the paper test. (If it falls out of the door when it's closed, you know the seal is bad and unless you really know what you're doing, it's not worth it.)

























I know what you're thinking. It's going to be a waste of energy. But after doing some research, it seems that refrigerators between 1960 and 1980 are the worst because that was when automatic defrosters were invented, but before laws were put in place to ensure efficiency. Prior to the 60's many refrigerators, like this one, didn't have an auto defrost. So that means I'm going to have to clean out my freezer every once in awhile, but that doesn't seem too bad.

I assume though, that despite the lack of auto defrost it's still going to take more energy than our 90's fridge that we currently have, so I bought a Kill-A-Watt meter to test it, and I'll post an update when we have a result! I'm really interested about what we find...for better or for worse!

UPDATE: To read my more recent post about energy costs, click here.

3 comments:

  1. Can you post a closer picture of the coldspot and logo below it?
    Do you know what year it is? I have the same one it's missing the logo below the coldspot.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! Where did you get yours? I will post some pictures and do some digging once we get it out our truck; the lady we bought it from took these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as the logo, that was just a sticker the previous owner had on there, so I peeled it off. And I posted a picture of our model number plate, if any of that info interests you: https://formerlymodern.blogspot.com/2018/04/vintage-coldspot-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete